Girl, 4, stops breathing on flight after passenger eats nuts

It has been highlighted again how important early medical treatment is for severe allergies.

This story from a few weeks ago shows how quickly things can become life treating and important early recognition and early medical treatment is.

Fae Platten, four, complained to her mum her "face hurt" before she went into an anaphylactic shock and could only be revived by an emergency injection.
The toddler was also left with a swollen tongue and blistered lips.
After being saved by medically-trained passengers she was rushed to hospital.
Passengers on the Ryanair flight were warned three times by staff not to open packets of nuts as the recycled air could spark an allergic reaction.
The incident happened as the toddler returned from a family holiday.
A man sat four rows away who ate the nuts has since been banned from flying by Ryanair.
It is claimed he was involved in an altercation with a passenger sat in front of him over the packet of nuts, but allegedly said "he'd open them if he wanted to".
Fae's mother Katy said: "They said there was a child on board with a very severe nut allergy, so no nuts purchased in the airport should be consumed and they would be selling no nuts on the flight. 
"But 20 minutes into the flight Fae said: 'Mummy, my face hurts'. 
"She started scratching her checks so I took her to the front and said I think somebody has opened nuts. He was incredibly selfish."

For a few moments Fae stopped breathing. Her airway was compromised and she went unconscious

The cabin crew gave little Fae a flannel with ice to help cool her face.
An announcement asking for medical help saw a nurse and an ambulance driver on-board come to the family's aid and inject the child with a Jext "epi" pen.
Her parents carry the medical devices in case of emergency and it delivers doses of adrenaline. It is commonly used for the treatment of anaphylaxis. 
Mrs Platten, from West Bergholt in Essex, added: "For a few moments Fae stopped breathing. Her airway was compromised and she went unconscious."
After the Jext pen was administered Fae regained consciousness and was taken by ambulance to Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford, Essex, when the plane landed. 
She was also travelling with her father Dean, her six-year-old sister Izzy and her mother's sister's family when the incident happened on August 5.
The child, who next month will start primary school, was released later that day.

In situations like this having quick access to information and the correct medication can save lives. This is what Medpac has been designed to do, and has help many people already.

If you or someone you care for has serve allergies, please be prepared. Have you medication with you at all times, and your condition easily identifiable.

Here's me hoping you never need to put skills into action.

Seamus